- B.B.A., Emory University (1960)
- L.L.B., Emory University (1963)
- M.B.A., Emory University (1964)
Association & Community Involvement
- KinderCare Learning Centers, Inc.; General outside counsel in following acquisitions, 1972-1985: Mini-Skools, Limited; Living and Learning Centres, Inc; Med Central, Inc.; Sylvan Learning Corporation; Pioneer Western Corporation; Shoe City Corporation; Bargain Town, U.S.A., Inc.
Speeches & Publications
- Speaker: Mergers and Acquisitions, Cumberland School of Law
- Speaker: Marital Deduction, Alabama Tax Clinic, University of Alabama
- Speaker: Tax, Estate and Trust Accounting Issues, Troy Bank & Trust
- Goree v. Commissioner; TC Memo. 1994-331 (Nonacquiescence - AOD 1996-001)
- Fleming G. Brooks et ux. et al.; TC Memo. 2005-204 (case prompted revision of Reg. 1.1367-2)
Alan's practice has historically revolved around the businesses that he has represented and the management and preservation of the wealth which the families derived from their businesses. He was the initial counsel to KinderCare Learning Centers, Inc., and helped shepherd its growth to become the largest provider of proprietary day care in the United States. He has been actively involved from the inception of KW Plastics and its related entities and has had the pleasure of seeing KW evolve into one of the world's largest producer of custom-engineered, recycled polypropylene co-polymer resins. Along the way, Alan has been actively involved in the pre-trial disposition or trial of many federal income tax cases. He has also pursued and developed many proprietary estate tax planning and estate administration strategies for the benefit of his clients.